PhilosophyMaster of Arts (MA)
Program ContactMeghan Magowan (email@example.com)
Department of PhilosophyWestern University
Stevenson Hall Rm 3148
London, Ontario N6A 5B8
t. 519-661-2111 ext. 85744
The MA in Philosophy at Western is a one-year fully funded program. Students take six one-term courses and write a 10,000 research paper over the summer (which may, but need not, develop work from one of their courses). Each year the courses available reflect the strengths and diversity of interests of the faculty, which collect along five principal fields: feminist philosophy; history of philosophy (ancient, medieval and modern); moral, political and legal philosophy; philosophy of mind and language; and philosophy of science (including mathematics and logic.
- 3 Terms (1 year)
- Full-time study
- Course-based, project-based
Applicants (domestic and international) are encouraged to apply for the following scholarships:
- Honours (or four-year) Bachelor's program from an accredited institution.
- Minimum 70% average in the last two years of the undergraduate degree.
In special circumstances, students whose specialization is not philosophy may be admitted, depending upon how relevant their discipline of training is to their intended program of study in philosophy.
English Language Proficiency
Applicants whose first language is not English must furnish evidence of their proficiency in the use of the English language:
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Minimum acceptable score is 550 for the paper and pencil version, 213 for the computer version, or 86 for the internet version with no individual score below 20. [Western's TOEFL ID is 0984].
- The International English Language Testing Service (IELTS). Minimum acceptable score is 6 out of 9.
- The Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB). Minimum acceptable score is 80 on each section and an overall score of 85.
- The Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL Assessment). Minimum acceptable score is 60.
- January 7 - Acceptance notification in late February
Fields of Research
- Feminist Philosophy
- History of Philosophy
- Moral, Political and Legal Philosophy
- Philosophy of Mind & Language
- Philosophy of Science