MathematicsMaster of Science (MSc)
Program ContactAdriana Dimova (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Graduate Program Coordinator
Department of MathematicsWestern University
Middlesex College Rm 125 London, Ontario N6A 5B7
t. 519-661-2111 ext. 83641
The Mathematical and Computational Sciences at Western are represented by four separate departments: Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Mathematics, and Statistical & Actuarial Sciences. The Department of Mathematics has established research groups in several areas of contemporary mathematics including algebra, analysis and analytic geometry, homotopy theory, and noncommutative geometry.
- 3 Terms (1 year)
- 2 Terms (8 months)
- Full-time study
- Thesis-based or course-based
Applicants are encouraged to apply for the following external scholarships:
- Honors Bachelor’s (or equivalent) degree in Pure Mathematics with a minimum B average
English Language Proficiency
Applicants whose first language is not English must furnish evidence of their proficiency in the use of the English language:
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Minimum acceptable score is 213 for the standard electronic version; or 550 for the paper and pencil version; 86 (with no individual score below 20) for internet based. [Western's TOEFL ID is 0984].
- The International English Language Testing Service (IELTS). Minimum acceptable score is 6 out of 9.
- The Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB). Minimum acceptable score is 80 on each section and an overall score of 85.
- The Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL Assessment). Minimum acceptable score is 60.
- CultureWorks. The requirement is successful completion of the High-Advanced level. Click here for information regarding a conditional offer of admission, pending CultureWorks completion.
- February 15 - Fall Term
- February 15 - Spring Term
- October 1 - Winter Term
Please note that we look at applications all year round. The bulk of the applications are considered around the above deadlines; however, if a deadline has not been met and there are still spaces available, we will still consider the application, provided there is reasonable time for approved applicants to make travel plans and obtain student visas, etc.
Acceptance notifications can take place at any time but the bulk of the admissions are normally for the Fall term and most notifications will be sent out between mid-February and the end of March.
Fields of Research
- Algebra/Number Theory