American Distinguished Dissertation Awards
Sponsored jointly by the Council of Graduate Schools (CGS) and ProQuest Dissertations Publishing, these awards are made each year to individuals who, in the opinion of the award committee, have completed dissertations representing original work that makes an unusually significant contribution to the discipline.
2017 Fields of Competition
- Biological Sciences: biology; botany; zoology; ecology; embryology; entomology; genetics; nutrition; plant pathology; plant physiology; anatomy; biochemistry; biophysics; microbiology; pathology;
phrmacology; physiology; and related fields. A ;soincluded are agriculture, forestry, and related fields.
- Humanities and Fine Arts: history; philosophy; language; linguistics; literature; archaeology; jurisprudence; the history, theory
andcriticism of the arts; comparative religion; and those aspects of the social sciences that employ historical or philosophical approaches.
Graduate programs may each submit one nomination to the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies by Friday, June 9, 2017. Please ensure that a candidate is aware of his or her nomination for the Award. Each program’s nomination must include the following four components:
- An abstract of the candidate's dissertation (not to exceed 10 double-spaced pages). Appendices containing other material, such as charts, tables, and/or references, may be included as additional pages.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation evaluating the significance and quality of the candidate's dissertation work. One of these letters must be from the nominee's dissertation supervisor, another from a member of the candidate's dissertation committee, and the third from a person of the candidate's choice. (no page limit indicated)
- The candidate's curriculum vitae (not to exceed 5 pages)
Submitting Nominations to SGPS
The deadline for submissions to SGPS is Friday, June 9, 2017. The nomination package must be submitted to email@example.com as a single PDF document. Please indicate the field of competition in the subject line of
Regular institutional members of CGS may submit nominations which
- Each eligible institution may nominate one (1) candidate in each broad field category below.
- The effective date of the degree awarded, or the completion of doctoral degree requirements and
dissertation,must lie in the period of July 1, 2015to June 30, 2017, inclusive, for the candidate.