Why Graduate School?
A graduate education helps advance your knowledge in a particular field(s), fostering your intellect and enabling you to apply your research to the benefit of society.
The Council of Ontario Universities released its University Works - 2014 Employment Report, summarizing employment outcomes by levels of educational attainment. The report, based on Statistics Canada’s Labour Force Survey, reveals that relative to all other educational attainment groups in Ontario, Master’s and PhD graduates:
Have the lowest level of unemployment
Have the most stable employment rate
Have experienced the largest growth in employment since 2002
Have experienced the largest increase in employment since the 2008 economic crisis
- The opportunity for in-depth exploration, collaboration and the intellectual satisfaction of discovering and acquiring new knowledge
- Become an expert in your field
- Work closely with world-class researchers in your area of interest
- Contribute to important research and discoveries
- Improve your C.V. or resume by publishing in journals and presenting your work at academic and professional conferences
- Contribute within academia as a researcher or professor
For more information, please review Your Future: A Guide for Potential Graduate Students by the Canadian Association of Graduate Studies.