Research and Graduate Program Coordinator
Department of Surgery
St. Joseph's Health Care London
268 Grosvenor St. Rm E3-113
London, Ontario N6A 4V2
519-646-6100 ext. 64304
The Department of Surgery at Western has a large, well-established, and highly-regarded post-graduate surgical education training program that includes seven individual subspecialty programs. The MSc in Surgery at Western has been designed to afford trainees an intensive research experience which will lead graduates to successful careers as clinician researchers at Academic Health Sciences Centers. All students will conduct novel research resulting in the completing of an MSc thesis which must be successfully defended by the student to accomplish the degree requirements.
Times to Completion
- Full-time or part-time study
Applicants (domestic and international) are encouraged to apply for the following scholarships:
- An undergraduate degree with a minimum average of 78% over the last two years of an Honours Program (completed prior to enrolment in an MD program).
- Successfully completed the MD degree or equivalent.
- Completed a minimum of two years of a surgical residency program (students may apply at any point in residency or fellowship training thereafter).
- Demonstrated an aptitude for and interest in surgical research.
- Research Proposal for the student’s surgical subspecialty area and the identification of a supervisor for the research.
Applicants whose first language is not English must furnish evidence of their proficiency in the use of the English language:
- April 15 - Fall Term
- January 15 - Summer Term
Acceptance notification 1-2 months after application deadline.