Trudeau Doctoral Scholarships
Leaders cannot emerge from a vacuum, without networks, mentorship, training, or role models.
The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarship Program will help shape researchers into engaged leaders who are conscious of the impact of their research, connected to the realities of the communities in which they work, and open to non-conventional forms of knowledge. The Foundation is seeking candidates who are audacious, original, and forward-thinking.
The program will last for three years and will also provide generous support for Scholars’ doctoral work in the form of a stipend and a research and travel allowance.
Updated December 5, 2018
- $40,000 per year for three years to cover tuition and reasonable living expenses; and
- $20,000 per year for three years, as a research and travel allowance
- December: Call for applications
- Monday, January 21, 2019: University Committee convenes to review and select up to 4 applications for the national competition
- February 22, 2019: Foundation deadline for universities to submit selected applications
- Early Spring: Interviews with finalists in Montréal
- Late April: Notifications of Scholars-Elect
- May: Official announcement of new Trudeau Scholars-Elect
How to Apply: Please contact Paula Menzies Cameron if you intend to apply in the current competition.
- Create an account and complete your application in the Trudeau Scholarships Portal
- Follow all instructions contained within the Application Portal.
- Submit a complete application in the online portal by the university deadline.
Step-by-step guide to applying
- Make sure you are eligible according to the eligibility criteria.
- When the competition opens in early December, fill out your registration request form. Once you have been granted access to the portal you will be able to complete your online submission. If you are eligible, you will receive a username and password within 4 business days (check your spam folder). Complete your online application form by filling out your contact information in the “Coordonnées / Contacts” section of the portal and by filling out your submission form in the “Ébauche / Draft” section of the portal.
- To request your three (3) letters of reference, enter the email address of your referees in the box provided. An email will automatically be sent to them, asking them to attach their reference letter in PDF format directly into the portal. You must follow up with your references. The letters will be attached to your file. You must have:
- At least one (1) letter must be from an academic referee concerning academic achievements;
- At least (1) letter must be from a non-academic referee concerning your leadership abilities;
- The third reference letter may come from an academic or non-academic referee.
- Upload the transcripts covering all of your post-secondary education, including your CEGEP transcript for candidates who attended CEGEP in Québec.
- At the same time, inform Paula Menzies Cameron (firstname.lastname@example.org) that you are submitting an application by Monday, January 21, 2019.
- Your university will have until 22 February 2019 to submit up to four (4) files from all internal applications submitted to the Foundation, attaching a letter of nomination from the Vice-Provost (Graduate and Postdoctoral).
- The Foundation will only send an acknowledgement to those applicants whose file has been submitted by the university.