Western Graduate & Postdoctoral  Studies

Residency Reclassification

For information on obtaining permanent residency, please refer to the following chart:

Community Legal Services (CLS)

Western's Community Legal Services (CLS) offers legal services to assist you with:

Applications for Permanent Residency

Immigration Group Information (IGI) sessions are scheduled monthly, and students can register via CLS Scheduler. Individual appointments with the lawyer or CLS caseworker can be arranged subsequent to attendance at an information session. CLS Immigration services may also include assistance in drafting and swearing affidavits and preparing notarized copies of your documents in preparation for the above services.

For further information, please visit Western's Community Legal Services (CLS) or call 519-661-3352.

Application Reimbursement

In addition to these services, the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies and Research Development Services provides a fund to help cover the costs of applying for permanent residency. Once you have paid the application fee, please bring documentation/receipt with your file number on it, to the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies office and we will reimburse you the $550 application fee.

Residency Update

Students who wish to update their residency status with the University must provide proof of this status change to The School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. Upon confirming your changed residency status (via Record of Landing, Permanent Resident Card, or an email that Citizenship and Immigration Canada has sent you which states that your application in the Federal Skilled Worker class has received a positive determination of eligibility to be processed), your tuition charges will be reduced to the domestic rate (plus UHIP until OHIP is obtained). Please note the deadlines each term to present landing documentation in order to have the current term's tuition rates reduced.

International Student Services

International students are encouraged to visit the International and Exchange Student Centre for assistance with immigration questions (study/work permits, temporary resident visas, spousal permits, U.S. visas, etc.) and other government regulations (social insurance number, income taxes, etc.).