Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarships (CGS D) and SSHRC Doctoral Fellowships
The Social Science and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) offers two streams of awards through one application. Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarships-Doctoral (CGS D) and SSHRC Fellowships provide financial support to high calibre scholars who are engaged in doctoral research in the social sciences and humanities. The CGS D is offered to the top-ranked applicants and the next tier of meritorious applicants are offered the Fellowship.
- CGS D: $35,000 a year for 3 years
- Fellowship: $20,000 a year for 1 to 4 years
Timelines and Deadlines
- Early September - SSHRC opens web-based Application
- October - Graduate Program Deadlines close. Deadlines vary among Graduate programs.
- November 15th - SGPS Deadline for Graduate Programs to submit ranked recommendations
- Late November/Early December - SGPS Selection Committee convenes
- January 9th - Agency Deadline
- By May 1st - Results released to students and universities
How to Apply
Online Application and Forms
- An applicant can submit only one application per year to one granting agency (NSERC, CIHR or SSHRC).
- An applicant may submit an application to SSHRC and to the Vanier CGS competition in the same year, as long as the research proposed in the Vanier CGS application is also SSHRC-eligible.
- An applicant must print the web-based application and, together with all required documents, submit it to the Graduate Program by its internal application deadline.
- SSHRC requires official or certified copies of transcripts from each university attended or currently attending, regardless of the length of time spent at each institution. Update Nov 7th 2014: Clarification - SGPS can provide the official Western transcripts for applications selected to go forward to the national competition.
- With regards to an exchange year abroad, and the grades from the foreign institution have been transferred to, and are appearing on, the home university transcript, the foreign institution's transcript is not required.
Holding the Award at Western
Acceptance and Activation
As a new SSHRC scholar you must:
- Accept the offer of award from the agency following the instructions provided in the letter of offer, and then activate it for payment by completing the required agency forms.
- Initiate the payment process at Western by following these steps:
- Access the Student Center
- Select ‘Self Service’ from the main menu, then 'Campus Finances'
- Select ‘My External Scholarships’ and follow the activation steps for your award
- Choose the start date that matches the date stipulated by the agency in the offer
Method of Payment
- SGPS administers the payment of external scholarships to Western recipients. The annual value of the award is divided into three equal installments and applied to your Student Center account at the start of every term (September, January and May).
Terms and Conditions for Holding the Award
- Access and review your SSHRC Award Holder’s Guide (A) and comply with the regulations governing use of the award.
- Complete an annual SGPS Progress Report Form
- Submit the form by the deadline specified by SGPS in the annual notification email
- Annual deadlines will vary for each SSHRC Scholar depending on the anniversary of the award start date, but will fall in either August, December, or April.
- A Progress Report can be submitted no earlier than 60 days prior to the anniversary date.
- Failure to submit Report on time will result in the delay or discontinuation of award payments.
- Progress that is deemed unsatisfactory may result in termination of the award.
All information updated September 26, 2014