SSHRC Fellowships and CGS Doctoral Awards (DF/CGSD)
The Social Science and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) offers two streams of awards through one application. Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarships-Doctoral (CGS D) and SSHRC Fellowships provide financial support to high calibre scholars who are engaged in a doctoral program in the social sciences or humanities. The CGS D will be offered to the top-ranked applicants and the next tier of meritorious applicants will be offered a Fellowship.
- CGS D: $35,000 a year for 3 years
- Fellowship: $20,000 a year for 1 to 4 years
How to Apply: Online Application
- You may submit only one application per year to one granting agency (NSERC, CIHR or SSHRC).
- You may submit an application to SSHRC and to the Vanier CGS competition in the same year, as long as the research proposal of your Vanier CGS application is SSHRC-eligible.
Timelines and Deadlines
- Application opens – September
- Graduate Program Deadlines vary – October/November
- SGPS Deadline for Graduate Programs – November 15th
- SGPS Selection Committee Convenes – November/December
- Agency Deadline – January 9th
- Final Results – April
Holding the Award at Western
Acceptance and Activation
As a new SSHRC scholar you must:
- Accept the offer of award from the agency following the instructions provided in the letter of offer, and then activate it for payment by completing the required agency forms.
- Initiate the payment process at Western by following these steps:
- Access the Student Center
- Select ‘Self Service’ from the main menu, then 'Campus Finances'
- Select ‘My External Scholarships’ and follow the activation steps for your award
- Choose the start date that matches the date stipulated by the agency in the offer
Method of Payment
- SGPS administers the payment of external scholarships to Western recipients. The annual value of the award is divided into three equal installments and applied to your Student Center account at the start of every term (September, January and May).
Terms and Conditions for Holding the Award
- Access and review your SSHRC Award Holder’s Guide (A) and comply with the regulations governing use of the award.
- Complete an annual SGPS Progress Report Form
- Submit the form by the deadline specified by SGPS in the annual notification email
- Annual deadlines will vary for each SSHRC Scholar depending on the anniversary of the award start date, but will fall in either August, December, or April.
- A Progress Report can be submitted no earlier than 60 days prior to the anniversary date.
- Failure to submit Report on time will result in the delay or discontinuation of award payments.
- Progress that is deemed unsatisfactory may result in termination of the award.
All information updated June 27, 2014