NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships and CGS Doctoral Awards (PGSD/CGSD)
The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) offers two streams of awards through one application. Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarships-Doctoral (CGS D) and NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships-Doctoral (PGS D) provide financial support to high calibre scholars who are engaged in a doctoral program in the natural sciences or engineering. The CGS D will be offered to the top-ranked applicants and the next tier of meritorious applicants will be offered an NSERC PGS D.
- CGS D: $35,000 a year for 2 or 3 years
- PGS D: $21,000 a year for 2 or 3 years
How to Apply: Online Application
- You may submit only one application per year to one granting agency (NSERC, CIHR or SSHRC)
- You may submit an application to NSERC and to the Vanier CGS competition in the same year, as long as the research proposal of your Vanier CGS application is NSERC-eligible
Timelines and Deadlines
- Application opens – September
- Graduate Program Deadlines vary – October
- SGPS Deadline for Graduate Programs – November 1st
- SGPS Selection Committee Convenes – November
- Agency Deadline – November 25th
- Final Results – March 31st
Holding the Award at Western
Acceptance and Activation
As a new NSERC scholar you must:
- Accept the offer of award from the agency following the instructions provided in the letter of offer, and then activate it for payment by completing the required agency forms.
- Initiate the payment process at Western by following these steps:
- Access the Student Center
- Select ‘Self Service’ from the main menu, then 'Campus Finances'
- Select ‘My External Scholarships’ and follow the activation steps for your award
- Choose the start date that matches the date stipulated by the agency in the offer
Method of Payment
- SGPS administers the payment of external scholarships to Western recipients. The annual value of the award is divided into three equal installments and applied to your Student Center account at the start of every term (September, January and May).
Terms and Conditions for Holding the Award
- Access and review your NSERC Award Holder’s Guide and comply with the regulations governing use of the award.
- Complete an annual SGPS Progress Report Form
- Submit the form by the deadline specified by SGPS in the annual notification email
- Annual deadlines will vary for each NSERC Scholar depending on the anniversary of the award start date, but will fall in either August, December, or April.
- A Progress Report can be submitted no earlier than 60 days prior to the anniversary date.
- Failure to submit Report on time will result in the delay or discontinuation of award payments.
- Progress that is deemed unsatisfactory may result in termination of the award.
All information updated June 27, 2014