Western Graduate & Postdoctoral  Studies

Student Finances

As one of Canada's leading research institutions, we place great importance on helping you finance your education. It is crucial that you devote your full energy to the successful completion of your studies, so we want to ensure that stable funding is available to you.

Strategic Scholarship Competition Support

The School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies is committed to providing our students with strategic support as they prepare for the rigours of external scholarship competitions.

Our services range from providing students with critical information on processes and eligibility, to connecting students with experts who share their experiences and insights into scholarly excellence.

Scholarship Library

The Scholarship Library website was developed to equip students with the necessary knowledge and resources to put forth an excellent funding proposal for external competitions. The architecture and content of the site was built using a student-centred approach and is accessible only by current Western students through our secure Grad Portal. Visitors are able to access a wealth of knowledge surrounding the application process and proven recommendations and strategies for success. Furthermore, past applications and successful research proposals are available for students to consult (these have been donated to SGPS by scholars who have been successful in past competitions).  The Scholarship Library can be accessed by both current undergraduate and graduate students.

All visitors to the Scholarship Library must adhere to strict policies in regards to viewing past research proposals, and all information pertaining to students’ identity and sensitive research is censored.

Preparing for Competition

Millions of dollars are available every year from government agencies and foundations to support the work and research of graduate students across the country. External funding bolsters your resume, enhances your scholarly reputation, and develops your career as a highly qualified researcher. The School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies is excited to deliver to you an enhanced program of strategic scholarship support designed to hone your skills and talents so that you can secure maximum funding for your studies.

 All Disciplines

  • Getting People to Care about Your Research: Writing for Competitive Scholarships A well-written research proposal persuades reviewers that your project merits funding, and that you have the ability and the plan to complete it. Generally, a research proposal should contain all the key elements involved in the research process and include sufficient information for the readers to evaluate the proposed study. Learn how to write for funding competitions with Paul Schmidt (The Writing Centre). No registration required.
    • Health and Medicine – Wednesday, August 29, 2018 from 1:30pm-2:30pm EDT in the AHB (Old Ivey) Classroom 1B04 
    • Natural Sciences and Engineering – Wednesday, September 5, 2018 from 1:30pm-2:30pm EDT in the AHB (Old Ivey) Classroom 1B04
    • Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities – Wednesday, September 12, 2018 from 1:30pm-2:30pm EDT in the IGAB Classroom 1N05 
  • The Rhodes Scholarships: The Path of Preparation For all interested students from 1st year undergraduates to 1st year graduate students; presented by Dr. Carolyn Ford, Director, International Undergraduate Student Recruitment, Western International. No registration required.
    • September 12, 2018 in the Chu Centre (2nd floor IGAB) 4:00-5:00pm EDT

  • Tri-Agency Canada Graduate Scholarships- Master’s (CGSM) Information Sessions SGPS staff will give a presentation on the internal process of application at Western. This is a one-hour session offered on five separate days in the IGAB Classroom 1N05. No registration required.
    • Tuesday, October 9, 2018 from 11:30am-12:30pm EDT
    • Thursday, October 11, 2018 from 1:30pm-2:30pm EDT
    • Monday, October 15, 2018 from 11:30am-12:30pm EDT
    • Wednesday, October 17, 2018 from 1:30pm-2:30pm EDT
    • Monday, November 12, 2018 from 1:30pm-2:30pm EDT

 Medical and Health Sciences

  • Responsive Research: Competitive Scholarship Applications in the Medical and Health Sciences The CIHR Doctoral Research Awards program provides special recognition and support to students who are pursuing a doctoral degree in a health-related field in Canada or abroad. All applicants are expected to have an exceptionally high potential for future research achievement and productivity. Watch Erin Huner, Research Consultant (Research Western) explain how you can best position yourself for success in competition.
  • The Art of Writing a CIHR Application 
  • CIHR Scholarships Information Webinars
    These are 2-hour interactive webinars offered by CIHR staff on how to apply for CIHR Scholarships. Attendees must register to join:
    • English: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 starting at 11:00am EDT Register here
    • French: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 starting at 11:00am EDT Register here

Natural Sciences and Engineering

  • NSERC Scholarships and Fellowships Information Session! NSERC staff will be visiting Western to give a presentation on how to prepare a scholarship or fellowship application. This two-hour event will be held in the IGAB ATRIUM, and will include Q&A. No registration required.
    • Thursday, September 13, 2018 from 10:30am-12:30pm EDT
  • NSERC Scholarships for Doctoral Study Information Sessions SGPS staff will give a presentation on the internal process of application at Western. This is a one-hour session offered on two separate days in the IGAB Classroom 1N05. No registration required.
    • Tuesday, September 18, 2018 from 11:30am-12:30pm EDT
    • Friday, September 28, 2018 from 1:30pm-2:30pm EDT
  • NSERC Resource Videos: Tips on Applying for an NSERC Scholarship 

Social Sciences and Humanities

  • SSHRC Scholarships and Fellowships for Doctoral Study Information Sessions SGPS Staff will give a presentation on the internal process of application at Western. This is a one-hour session offered on two separate days in the IGAB Classroom 1N05. No registration required.
    • Tuesday, September 25, 2018 from 11:30am-12:30pm EDT
    • Wednesday, October 3, 2018 from 1:30pm-2:30pm EDT
  • SSHRC Resource Video: How do you apply for a SSHRC Doctoral Award?


Scholars to Leaders Speaker Series


The Scholars to Leaders Speaker Series is a unique initiative of the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies that is open to all students and scholars across all careers at Western – undergraduate, graduate, professional, and postdoctoral. The Series brings students together with university leaders who are uniquely skilled in mentoring candidates as they prepare for next stages of academic competition and global careers. The monthly luncheon events showcase guest speakers who share valuable insight and expertise on critical aspects of leadership from their own career experiences. Pizza is available on a ‘first come, first served’ basis but feel free to bring your own lunch.

The Series runs from September to March (except December) and each event is held on the last Wednesday of every month from 12:30-1:30pm in the Atrium of the International and Graduate Affairs Building (IGAB). No registration is required.

The 2017-2018 Guest Speaker Schedule (2018-2019 Schedule available after August 15, 2018)

Date Guest Speaker Title Topic

September 27, 2017

Professor Mel Goodale

Distinguished University Professor, Canada Research Chair in Visual Neuroscience, and Director of the Brain and Mind Institute at Western

Fifty Years at Western: A personal history

October 25, 2017

Dr. Erin Azzopardi

Western PhD Alumna (Anatomy and Cell Biology) and Business Development Specialist with Mitacs Canada

Making the Most of Your Time at Western: Learn about Mitacs’ Industry, Community Partner, and International Research Internship Opportunities

November 29, 2017

Professor Joel Faflak

Professor of English, Faculty Scholar and Director of the School for Advanced Studies in the Arts and Humanities at Western

How to Fail Properly

January 31, 2018

Professor Greg Kopp

Professor of Engineering, Chair of the ASCE Environmental Wind Engineering Committee, a member of the Executive Board of the International Association of Wind Engineers, and Director of the Boundary Layer Wind Tunnel Laboratory at Western

Using the Research Methods you Learn in Grad School to Inform your (emerging) Leadership Style

February 28, 2018

Dean Erika Chamberlain

Professor and Dean, Western's Faculty of Law (PhD University of Cambridge, LLB Western University), a former Cambridge Commonwealth Scholar and SSHRC Doctoral Fellow, currently Western's Academic Colleague to the Council of Ontario Universities (COU)

Having Faith in your Own Instincts

March 28, 2018

Dr. David Cechetto

Professor in the Deprtment of Anatomy and Cell Biology, and Director of Training, Support and Access Model for
Maternal, Newborn and Child Health in Rwanda at Western's Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry

Following Your Passion: Finding funding, flexibility, and freedom to create the job you really want

Please email Paula Menzies Cameron for more information.

Funding Opportunities

Some funding is awarded to you upon entry into a program, some is based on recommendations from the program that is admitting you, and others you must apply for yourself, either to Western University or to an external funding agency.

Western Graduate Program Funding

Graduate programs are the primary source of internal funding for many of our graduate students through the Western Graduate Research Scholarships (WGRS) program, and teaching and research assistantships.

Western Donor-Funded Awards

Generous donations from our alumni and from corporations, foundations and other friends of Western University have helped to create many graduate student award and support programs. Recipients are selected by nomination or by an internal competition. Please contact your graduate program for more details about awards that may be available to you. For a comprehensive listing of all current donor-funded graduate awards at Western, please access the Donor-Funded Award Search:

Western Financial Assistance

Graduate students who find themselves in financial need have access to a full range of bursary programs, loans and financial aid counselling at Western.

Provincial Scholarship Competitions

The Province of Ontario is a very generous supporter and promoter of graduate student excellence and offers a suite of lucrative scholarship programs through annual competitions that are administered by the provincial universities and the Council of Ontario Universities (COU).

National Scholarship Competitions

The Government of Canada promotes high-quality research in a wide variety of disciplines and areas through its three funding agencies – the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC). National foundations and trusts, created through the philanthropy of renowned Canadians, also offer prestigious scholarship and fellowship programs which aim to advance Canada’s role in knowledge creation, innovation, and global leadership.

International Student Scholarship Opportunities

The following are featured funding opportunities that support international students applying to graduate research degrees at Western.

International Study Opportunities

Our scholars go where the research takes them and Western has partnered with international institutions and agencies to support that experience via international exchange agreements and programs.

Graduate Program Contacts

Graduate program personnel coordinate scholarship operations internally and together represent Western’s front-line service team dedicated to assisting students and faculty throughout competition season.

Receiving Payments

This section provides details on how funds are transferred to you.

Electronic Fund Transfer

Graduate student payments are issued every Tuesday evening from the Student Center (beginning the second Tuesday in each term). When a graduate student is in a credit balance a payment can be issued in one of two ways:

  1. Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) is available to any graduate student who provides Western with an active bank account using MyHumanResources self service application using their HR Western computer account login and password (which may be the same as their student account). Graduate students with questions regarding their Human Resources account may call 519-661-2194. A graduate student receiving a payment to their bank account will be sent an email the day the payment has been issued.
  2. In cases where a graduate student has not provided a bank account a cheque is printed and distributed to the student's program.

Fees and Tuition

This section provides general information about tuition fees and payments.

Your Tuition Account

Your tuition account is available for viewing in the Student Center. For students who anticipate receiving scholarship funding (e.g. Western Graduate Research Scholarships, NSERC, SSHRC, CIHR, OGS), expect these funds to show as "Anticipated Aid" in the Finances section of the Student Center two or three weeks prior to the start of term. Scholarship funds will be disbursed towards tuition fees the first business day of each new term.

To view your current tuition account balance, please complete the following steps:

  1. Access the Student Center
  2. Select Detailed Statement of Account within the Finances section
  3. Select the appropriate term (Anticipated Aid will appear at the bottom of the page).

Tuition Fee Schedules

Tuition fees schedules are published by the Office of the Registrar. For accurate information, please note the various schedules based on residency and term:

PLEASE NOTE: Western University is reducing tuition for international PhD and DMA students to the same level as domestic PhD and DMA students effective September 1, 2018.

Tuition Payments

An overview of all acceptable methods of payment for tuition fees. All fees must be paid as indicated on your Student Center account.

Internet banking through major Canadian banks is the preferred method of payment. The majority of graduate students use this method to pay their tuition. Add University of Western Ontario - Tuition to your list of bank payments (there may be a variance in the way each bank lists the University of Western Ontario as a payee). Your student number is your account for Internet payments.

Students whose fees will be paid by an external sponsor must provide proof of funding for each term before the tuition deadline to avoid late payment charges. Students are responsible for payment of any fees or penalties not paid by the sponsor. For additional payment methods including how to arrange payment from outside of Canada please consult Office of the Registrar - Student Financial Services.

If you have concerns regarding due dates for tuition payments, contact Student Financial Services at reg-fees@uwo.ca.

Who Pays Canadian Tuition Fees?

Information on which International Students are eligible to pay tuition at the Canadian rate.

Tuition Refund Schedules

An overview of refund procedures and timing for tuition.

Income Tax Reporting

This section provides general information about tuition fees and payments.

T2202As -- Issued Through Student Center

T2202As are tuition tax receipts issued to students for tuition related to the calendar year. These show the amount of tuition that has been charged and students can deduct any amounts that have been paid. Eligible months for tax purposes are also included on this form. Students can access their T2202As through the Student Center.

  • T2202As will be made available by the end of February.

Questions can be directed to the Office of the Registrar or phone 519-661-2100.

T4As -- Issued Through Student Center

  • Tax receipts issued to students for scholarships, bursaries or other monetary awards from Western in the calendar year. Amounts on T4As must be reported as income on the student's tax return.
  • Online T4A service in Student Center.
  • Step 1: Canada Revenue Agency requires you to provide consent before printing directly from the Student Center. Prior to February 10, log-in to Student Center and access the T4A consent page through the link at the bottom of the page under Tax Receipts or by following the Campus Finances path under Self Service.
  • Step 2: You will receive a confirmation email once you have successfully submitted your consent. If you do not receive the confirmation email, contact Student Financial Services.

Note: If you do not provide consent by February 10, your T4A will be mailed to the home address we have on file for you. Please ensure your home address is correct.  You will receive an email once the T4A is available online.

Questions can be directed to the Office of the Registrar or phone 519-661-2100.

T4As -- Issued Through Human Resources

  • Tax receipts issued to anyone paid through Payroll who received a Graduate Research Assistantship, scholarship, or other awards from Western in the previous calendar year.
  • All T4As will be mailed to the home address that is registered on My Human Resources by the end of February.

Questions can be directed to Human Resources or phone 519-661-2194.

T4s -- Issued Through Human Resources

  • Tax receipts issued by an employer to employees for income they earned in the calendar year.
  • All T4s will be mailed to the home address that is registered on My Human Resources by the end of February.

Questions can be directed to Human Resources or phone 519-661-2194.