15. Support Services for Students with Disabilities

Last Revised April 25, 2017

Western is committed to achieving barrier-free accessibility for all its members (including graduate students) who have ongoing or temporary conditions that may include but not limited to:

  • Chronic illnesses (for example, fibromyalgia, migraines);
  • Chronic pain;
  • Attention deficit disorders;
  • Learning disabilities;
  • Mental health conditions (for example, anxiety, depression);
  • Acquired brain injuries and concussions;
  • Vision, hearing impairments;
  • Mobility impairments, and
  • Injury related to an accident.

This applies to all persons with disabilities studying, visiting and working at Western. As part of this commitment, there are a variety of services on campus devoted to promoting accessibility and to ensure that individuals have equitable access to meet graduate and undergraduate program requirements and to access services and facilities.

Accessible Education (AE) is a confidential service to support graduate and undergraduate students through their academic program.  AE plays a central role in Western’s efforts to ensure that its graduate and undergraduate academic programs are accessible. AE works with graduate students and their programs, normally their graduate chair, to ensure that appropriate academic accommodations to program requirements are arranged.   AE services include individual counselling, alternative formatted literature, accessible campus transportation, learning strategy instruction, and assistive technology instruction.  AE can also assist students in identifying accommodations for laboratory work or research projects, or finding other campus resources and services that may be of assistance; for example, the Access Lab and Learning Opportunities Lab located in the Weldon Library.  For more information, please visit academicsupport.uwo.ca/accessible_education/index.html.

Please contact AE so that we can support you through your academic program.  It is important that you register with AE as soon as possible after accepting an offer of admission and meet with an AE counsellor to discuss relevant graduate program accommodations. If accommodation (may be temporary) needs arise during your course of study, contact AE for a confidential appointment with an AE Counsellor. 

AE can be contacted by calling 519-661-2147 or emailing aew@uwo.ca.  AE is part of the Student Development Centre on the 4th floor of Western Student Services Building (WSSB).  More information about AE can be found here academicsupport.uwo.ca/accessible_education/index.html.