Graduate Teaching Assistants
Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs) make an important contribution to the quality of undergraduate education at Western University. GTAs inspire, encourage, and guide students who embark on a learning journey in hundreds of programs in our 11 Faculties across campus.
The School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (SGPS) advises the following:
- All GTA contracts for the Winter 2020 Term will be honoured. GTAs will receive payment in full as per their contract. GTAs should be available to support the successful completion of the undergraduate courses. Overtime pay will be made available where needed and approved in advance.
- Many GTAs will be required to alter the delivery mode of their duties and should have access to the training and resources to support the necessary shift.
- The time needed for any training and/or reformatting of instructional material should be considered paid work hours.
- The shift in delivery mode and the need for training may require more hours than included in a GTA’s contract (i.e., may require overtime).
- Under the GTA Collective Agreement, overtime hours and pay must be approved prior to being incurred. All need for additional GTA hours must be communicated by course instructors to Department Chairs who can approve overtime prior to the GTA undertaking the overtime hours.
- GTAs should be asked, rather than required, to work overtime hours.
- GTAs who are ill, or become ill, should remain at home and complete the Absence Notification Tool. They should continue to receive their pay in accord with their contract.
- GTAs who are not ill, but are required to self-isolate should continue to complete their duties remotely, as feasible.
- Based on a directive from the provincial government, Western moved to essential services on campus beginning at 11:59 p.m., Tuesday, March 24. As a result, GTAs will receive full payment as per their contracts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Your Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) services with Morneau Shepell continue to be available to you and your family. Please visit the website HERE for more information.