CGS - Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplements
The Canada Graduate Scholarships - Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplements (CGS-MSFSS) program supports high calibre Canadian graduate students in building global linkages and international networks through the pursuit of exceptional research experiences at research institutions abroad, and they are available to Canadian citizens or permanent residents who are active Tri-Agency CGS holders (CGSM, CGSD or Vanier CGS).
- A Supplement of up to $6,000 is awarded to help offset the costs of undertaking research studies outside Canada for a defined period of 2-6 months.
- The CGS award must be active at the time the research study abroad begins.
Timelines and Deadlines
- Annual Tri-Agency Launch - late April
- SGPS Application Deadlines:
- Spring Competition - May 15
- Fall Competition - September 15
- Agency Deadlines for Universities:
- Spring Competition - June 10
- Fall Competition - October 10
Releaseof Decisions by Agency:
- Spring Competition - August for NSERC and SSHRC; September for CIHR
- Fall Competition - December (all agencies)
To be eligible to apply for this program, you applicant must:
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada by the application deadline dates;
- be registered full-time at Western at the time of application;
- be in a discipline area supported by your CGS granting agency and have accepted or currently hold one of the following Canada Graduate Scholarships:
- CIHR Frederick Banting and Charles Best CGSM or CGSD
- NSERC Alexander Graham Bell CGSM or CGSD
- SSHRC Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGSM or CGSD;
- Vanier CGS (Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only);
- undertake your proposed trip abroad no earlier than the competition deadline date; and
- not hold, or have held, any other CGS-MSFSS during the course of your graduate studies.
To remain eligible during the research study period abroad, you must:
- hold an active CGS at the time your research study period abroad starts;
- be registered full-time in a graduate research studies degree program at Western for the duration of your research study period abroad;
- take up the award within one year of receiving the notice of award for the CGS-MSFSS; and
- return to complete your degree at Western.
- Each agency has its own application form, instructions, and consent forms and care should be taken to ensure that the appropriate form is used.
- Submit your complete application to email@example.com in a single PDF by May 15 or September 15
- A complete application includes:
- Application form:
- includes a budget that provides estimates for costs of travel, living and other expenses during your research study period abroad
- Outline of proposed research while abroad:
- a maximum two-page description of your intended research activities during your research study period abroad (including objectives, methodology, timelines and expected outcomes), how this relates to your main graduate research topic, and a description of the potential benefits that you will derive from the host institution in relation to your current research objectives
- Letters of support:
- a letter (scan of original ink-signed letter on institutional letterhead) from your current research supervisor supporting your research study period abroad. The letter must confirm the applicant's research is related to their CGS research topic.
- a letter (scan of original ink-signed letter on institutional letterhead) from your potential host supervisor supporting your research study period abroad and indicating that they will commit the required resources (financial [if any], supervision time, equipment, library access, etc.) to support your planned research activities.
- All letters must be originally ink signed and written on institution letterhead before scanning to PDF. If support letters are coming in the body of an email message, emails must be sent from an institution address (personal email addresses will not be accepted).
- Terms and Conditions of Applying form
- Application form:
Research Capacity Development
160 Elgin Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0W9
Scholarships and Fellowships Division
350 Albert Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 1H5
Research Training Portfolio
350 Albert Street
P.O. Box 1610
Ottawa, ON K1P 6G4