2020 Graduate Student Summer Term Bursary
Important Notice: this summer bursary application was re-opened on June 1 to give another opportunity for graduate students to apply who did not apply last month.
Working in partnership, the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (SGPS), the Provost, and Faculties have created a one-time, needs-based 2020 Graduate Student Summer Term Bursary. This bursary (T4A income) will help to enable continuing full-time PhD students, and continuing full-time research Master’s students, to progress in their research programs without disruption despite the social and economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Although graduate student financial support packages do not replace full-time employment income, Western recognizes that students who choose to undertake full-time graduate studies are choosing to delay their entry into the full-time workforce. The 2020 Graduate Student Summer Term Bursary was created, in part, to allow students to continue their research without interruption.
Please note: Western, the City of London, and both the provincial and Federal government continue to create and enhance numerous mechanisms to help provide funding relief. For an overview of the financial support currently available for graduate students, please visit grad.uwo.ca/covid19/financialsupport.html.
To be eligible for this bursary, you must be a:
- Continuing full-time PhD student within your funding eligible period
- PhD students whose summer term financial support package is less than $6,500 may be eligible for a maximum amount equal to the difference between $6,500 and the total value of their summer term financial support package.
- Continuing full-time PhD student beyond your funding eligible period
- PhD students beyond their eligible funding period can apply for up to a maximum of $6,500.
- Continuing full-time research Master’s student within or beyond your funding eligible period
- Canadian and Permanent Resident research Master’s students whose summer term financial support package is less than $3,000 may be eligible for a maximum amount equal to the difference between $3,000 and the total value of their summer term financial support package.
- International research Master’s students whose summer term financial support package is less than $6,500 may be eligible for a maximum of $6,000.
Timeline and Process
- June 1: Applications open.
- June 12: Applications close at 4:00 p.m.
- June 15 - 26: Applications are assessed and adjudicated by the Faculty-based Associate Deans (Graduate) (ADGs).
- June 29: Students notified and funds deposited into students' accounts.
The adjudication process will provide the following information to the ADGs:
- Your actual fall 2019/winter 2020/summer 2020 funds received through Western.
- Your summer 2020 Mercury funding (financial support package) promise.
- Your responses in the bursary application.
Once a decision is reached, an email notification will inform you of the result of the adjudication. If you are awarded with the bursary, SGPS will add any funds to your student account as they are approved and no later than Friday, June 29, 2020.
How to Apply
- Log in to the Graduate Student Web Services Portal with your Western credentials
- Select 2020 Graduate Student Summer Term Bursary to access the application
- Questions related to the online application can be directed to SGPS at: