3MT - Three Minute Thesis
Western's 2020 3MT Final:
Thursday, March 12 at 7:00 p.m.
Wolf Performance Hall | London Public Library (Central branch)
251 Dundas Street in downtown London
The top 20 students from our four heats will present in the final competition on Thursday, March 12,
The first-place winner from Western's final will attend 3MT Ontario 2020 hosted at the University of Windsor on Wednesday, April 15, 2020.
Participating in 3MT?
Access the Resources You Need HERE
What is 3MT?
3MT (Three Minute Thesis) is a research communication competition where graduate students have 3 minutes or less to present their research and its impact to a panel of non-specialist judges and peers. The exercise develops academic, presentation, and research communication skills and supports the development of research students' capacity to effectively explain their research in language appropriate to an intelligent but non-specialist audience.
The competition was developed by The University of Queensland (UQ), Australia. The first 3MT was held at UQ in 2008 with 160 graduate students competing. Enthusiasm for the 3MT concept grew and its adoption in numerous universities led to the development of an international competition in 2010. Western University was one of the first Canadian universities to host a 3MT competition in
This fun and challenging academic competition is an excellent opportunity for graduate students to improve their communication skills. Whether it be networking, a job application, research opportunity or scholarship application, the ability to effectively communicate complex research and its impact using open language is a valuable skill set.
Please note: Western also has a competition in French. Visit Ma thèse en 180 secondes for more information.
Faculty Heat Schedule 2020 -- Select Your Faculty and REGISTER Below
Heats will be hosted by each Faculty. Some faculties are grouped together based on historic participation rates. Please register under your corresponding Faculty. Registration will close one week before your faculty heat date listed below. There will be no exceptions for missed deadlines.
Date: Friday, February 28, 2020
Time: 9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
Location: International and Graduate Affairs Building (IGAB), Room #1N05
Last Day to Register: Friday, February 21, 2020
FACULTY HEAT COORDINATOR: Becky Blue
Date: Wednesday, February 5, 2020
Time: 11:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Location: ACEB Room #1420
Last Day to Register: Wednesday, January 29, 2020
FACULTY HEAT COORDINATOR: Karen McDonald
Date: Wednesday, February 26, 2020
Time: 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Location: Somerville House (SH), The Garden
Last Day to Register: Wednesday, February 19, 2020
Date: Tuesday, January 28, 2020
Time: 11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Location: Medical Sciences Building (MSB) Room #148
Last Day to Register: Tuesday, January 21, 2020
FACULTY HEAT COORDINATOR: Janelle Pritchard
- Planning Guide: a detailed guide to help you plan your event.
- Name randomizer: a useful tool to create a random order for your faculty heat.
- Powerpoint slide template: note that all student slides MUST BE in 16:9 screen format. Alternative aspect ratios WILL NOT be accepted.
- Judging Sheet template: use up to 10 participants per page. For additional participants, click the tabs at the bottom of the excel file and print more pages. NOTE: Please also print this instructional COVER PAGE for your judges to go with the excel spreadsheet. This cover page gives important details to the judges so they know exactly what they are evaluating.
- Timer: a three-minute timer in mp4 video format. Right-click to "save as" to your local computer.
- Logo: the official 3MT logo to use wherever needed.
- Web Banners 1920x600 | 1170x350 | 880x300 | 700x300: web banners for your program's home page. Choose the ratio that works best for you, and link it here: http://grad.uwo.ca/3mt
- VISIX 16x9 and VISIX 4x3: high-resolution images in png format for your program/department/faculty screens.
- Poster: a printable 8.5" x 11" poster to display in your departments.