MusicMaster of Music (MMus)
Meet Colin McMahon, MMus candidate in Music
Why did you come to Western for your graduate degree?
Western offered me incredible faculty. Not only are they brilliant, experienced musicians and fantastic teachers, but I also I feel that they care about me as a student, about my success and growth during my time at Western.
Describe your research.
I am currently working on a chamber opera, attempting to expand my control of large form harmony, vocal writing, and drama in music.
What is it about your grad program that enables you to thrive and be successful?
I feel this program offers me the perfect combination of structure and rigor with artistic freedom. This balance offers me the best growth as an artist.
What is your “dream” career?
I hope to compose art music full time, but also look forward to the possibilities of teaching and commercial writing such as music for video games, television, and movies.
What are you most passionate about?
Music, most definitely, but I am always looking out for any form of creative expression and collaboration.
Program ContactAudrey Yardley-Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Graduate Program Assistant
Don Wright Faculty of MusicWestern University
Talbot College, Room 216
London, Ontario N6A 3K7
t. 519-661-2111 ext. 85354
The Master of Music (MMus) degree is available in three fields: MMus in Composition; MMus in Literature and Performance; and MMus in Music Education.
- 5 Terms (Full-time study)
- Full-time study or part-time study
- Thesis-based or course-based
Applicants are encouraged to apply for the following scholarships (if eligible):
Detailed admission requirements by program:
English Language Proficiency
Applicants whose first language is not English must furnish evidence of their proficiency in the use of the English language:
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Minimum acceptable score is 550 for the paper and pencil version, 213 for the computer version, or 86 for the internet version with no individual score below 20. [Western's TOEFL ID is 0984].
- The International English Language Testing Service (IELTS Academic). Minimum acceptable score is 6.5 out of 9.
- January 15 - Acceptance notification in early March
Fields of Research
- Literature and Performance
- Music Education