Law, Studies inMaster of Studies in Law (MSL)
Program ContactMary Morris (email@example.com)
Student Services Assistant
Faculty of LawWestern University
Law Building Rm 239
London, Ontario N6A 3K7
t. 519-661-2111 ext. 88422
Western Law offers the Master of Studies in Law (MSL) for professionals or academics in other disciplines who do not have a degree in Law but who feel that an understanding of law would enhance their current research or profession.
The MSL does not prepare one for the practice of law, and is not an entryway into the legal profession. Instead, it is intended to provide an academic footing for those whose prior research interests or professional interests touch upon legal matters.
- 3 Terms (Full-time study)
- 6 Terms (Part-time study)
- Full-time study or part-time study
- Project-based or thesis-based
Applicants are encouraged to apply for the following scholarships (if eligible):
- Four-year Bachelor's or higher degree with a minimum average of B (74%) in the last two years of full-time study.
- A sample of academic writing, such as a research paper, thesis or a published journal article. The subject matter of the academic writing sample may be the applicant's choice.
English Language Proficiency
Graduate Record Examination Scores (GRE)
- Institution Code for Western: 0984
The Graduate Record Examination is required for all applicants to the MSL program. Applicants who present evidence that their previous professional programs or graduate programs have required the GRE, GMAT, MCAT, LSAT or other, similar, standardized tests will normally have the requirement for the GRE waived.Applicants whose first language is not English must furnish evidence of their proficiency in the use of the English language:
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The minimum acceptable score for the Faculty of Law for applicants to all graduate programs is 109 for the internet-based version, with a minimum score of 25 for writing and speaking skills, or 630 (paper-based).
- The International English Language Testing Service (IELTS). The minimum acceptable score for the Faculty of Law is 8.0 out of 9.
- January 15 - Acceptance notifications begin in January and continue until the middle of the summer